I didn't take a final count but there were a lot of things that were cut up, chopped, and put into the freezer. Bless her heart, Kayla even worked through my full sink full of green beans that were picked last weekend, at least half or more were too big too keep. She got to work with okra for the first time, she again helped me determine which were just right size and which were too big. What a blessing that was. I was dreading it. It is always nice to have an extra brain when determining what to do with a kitchen full of produce.
I was able to shred more zucchini and put that in the freezer and Kayla had the idea to slice the cucumbers that were too big and set them on a cookie sheet in the freezer. I now have a gallon bag full of cucumber slices for water. We also tried the french fry maker that I got recently for potatoes and Kayla cut up a bunch of zucchini that got too big. She cut the core out of them and ran them through the french fry maker and now there are zucchini fries ready to broil with Parmesan cheese and a little salt and pepper.
I wrote earlier about some reading I had been doing and I am excited to say that Kayla and I attempted to put some of those zucchini fries into a quart jar and ferment them. I will report how that turns out because you have to give it 5-7 days. It bubbles away on my counter smelling like yummy curry which was part of the recipe. The only thing that would make me more excited about this post is if I could have included a picture of us, we are going to make it a point to get together more often!