Button Banner

Button Banner

Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Propagation



It has been a few days since I have posted. I guess you could say that I was giving the world a little break, or maybe you could say that I was taking a little break. There is a lot of living to do and not a lot of time. I had a birthday you know and I have been enjoying the end of the year school activities around here. I will blog about a few of those eventually.

But today I will show my new outdoor project. I purchased a pot of succulents over the mother's day weekend and have wanted to plant them in a vintage birdcage to add to the decor of my front porch. Well, these are a bit big to plant in between the little bars of the cage so I headed to the library.

These great books reaffirmed what I had remembered learning about succulents. Most of them propagate very easily. Sometimes a leaf will just fall into the dirt and root. Woo Hoo! I found some old planting flats and filled each space with a little bit of dirt and started taking stems and leaves off to start new plants.






These will grow for awhile and eventually be sturdy enough and small enough to plant in the small spaces of the birdcage and then spread around the cage like I am envisioning.

I am a little excited about this and hope it works. Has anyone seen how much these beautiful hearty plants cost at the garden stores?  Can I hear a CHA CHING?!


No comments:

Post a Comment