Button Banner

Button Banner

Thursday, August 22, 2013

Cancer Files: Post-Mastectomy Report

I have thought many times in the course of this week that I would like to get on my blog and write something, some kind of update that would let everyone know how I am doing but it just wasn't meant to be.  A lot has happened and I am glad it is behind me.  A week out and I am home and starting into a recovery routine.

The surgery was successful.  Old cancerous tissue gone, replaced with my stomach tissue.  It is amazing what can be done with the human body and I am feeling so blessed to have all of this at my disposal as I have spoken with others in previous generations who had this kind of surgery done in the 70's and 80's.  Pathology was again sent to the University for them to check as they thought here in CR that they saw micro invasions again.  My surgeon also told us that they are attending a conference tomorrow and will be presenting my case to a lot of eyes so many will see it and be able to give their input.  I hope that means there will be some answers.  She told me there is still a possibility of radiation, depending on what the final pathology report says.

Recovery will go slow.  As Matthew comes out every morning he asks "are you better today, Mom?"  Right now we are in the "get the drains out stage".  I went back to the doctors yesterday and was able to get the top drains out.  Didn't know that was going to be on the schedule but I will tell you that my armpits are thankful!  I have two injections each day, antibiotic twice a day and stripping and emptying of two drains.  I get up and walk when I can to keep the circulation going, so there is a lot to remember.  The way things are going though, another drain may bite the dust tomorrow!

We will be taking one day at a time which is good because that is definitely doable!  Anything more than that, I am sure would knock me out!  Thank you all for your prayers, they definitely have kept me this last week!


No comments:

Post a Comment