Button Banner

Button Banner

Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Hanging Out With the Birthday Boy

I have written a lot about my parents. It was their birthday a few years ago that I wrote this HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOM AND DAD!! post. Seventy years ago yesterday, I was blessed by the birth of these two very special people.

I had wanted to get home last night and post this on their actual birthday but it was a pretty big day for me and I fell into my bed instead. Stacey had a soccer game that was at home so I had told Dad about it over the weekend. Knowing it was his birthday I told him we understood if he had plans to celebrate that didn't involve a soccer field.

He texted me in the morning saying he was planning to come and I am glad he did. We had fun. The weather was a little different than Monday's 70's so we huddled together and watched as Stacey played quite a bit of the varsity game. She is a good defensive player and there were a lot of opportunities she took to show her stuff.

We laughed several times when "offsides" was called. I told Dad that David has tried to explain it to me thousands of times and I still don't get it. We were talking loud enough for a few in front of us to join in the conversation explaining that they don't get it either. We found we were in good company. Even in this one game, the calling of offsides didn't seem consistent enough to figure out if any of us were right in our understanding. As long as the ref knows I guess that is what really matters!

We took a "chilly day at the soccer field selfie" and laughed some more. It is posted here with a little hesitation. I think I count about five chins on me so it isn't my best look. Dad looks good enough for both of us though.

When you are one of five children, even as an adult one-on-one times with a parent are priceless. Especially when you have been blessed with good ones. I love living next door to them and I love that they love to come hang out at games and concerts. As Stacey said last night when she was getting ready for bed "you and Grandpa made my day"! I didn't live very close to my grands when I was growing up. We visited a lot, but I am so thankful my kids get theirs so close.

2 comments: