Button Banner

Button Banner

Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Show and Tell: A Finished Project

There was a time when we had four children playing AYSO soccer. I had it all planned. Four jerseys, passed down from kid to kid for however many years we would be doing soccer. That was the plan UNTIL AYSO went and changed the color of their soccer jerseys from red and blue to orange and purple.

Having gone to Goodwill several times and seeing the large number of blue and red AYSO shirts that were hanging for sale on the racks I knew that I wasn't going to add to that by bringing ours all to Goodwill. BUT, there could be some creative way to use them. It is cold on the soccer field some days. So, I cut them all up and ironed on some interfacing. Then, they sat in a bag on the shelf in my sewing room.

Fast forward a few years and two are now playing high school soccer, one has decided he is done with soccer and we have one soccer player in AYSO. AND...once again, jersey colors have changed this year to lime green and royal blue. That left me with four orange and purple jerseys to add to the blue and red that I had planned to put in a t-shirt quilt.

Now, with more jerseys, I could make WHOLE blanket with soccer uniforms! That was my goal, everything on the front of the quilt would be made out of their uniforms. I am happy to say that I achieved that goal. I didn't have anything to sash the horizontal rows so I cut up the black shorts too! No one wears the actual AYSO shorts anyway.

I could have had it done last fall but my fleece on the back had shifted and in the bottom left corner I was about an inch shorter with my backing fleece. In frustration I threw it in the corner of my sewing room til Saturday. I was mad because there was about a 1/2 yard of fleece left on the top when I sandwiched it together. I just took some extra fleece and sewed it to the short part and went with it. It isn't like I am taking this to the state fair or anything. It is going to the soccer field to keep me warm while I cheer on our three remaining soccer players.

1 comment:

  1. This is awesome! What a creative way to use up all of those uniforms!

    ReplyDelete