Button Banner

Button Banner

Thursday, April 9, 2015

TBT: April 9, 1970

Happy Birthday to Mom and Dad! They were both born on April 9th (in the same year although I don't know if I am at liberty to tell which year it was). This particular throw back picture is 1970. I got the privilege to be in this picture too although you may not be able to tell that Mom was 7 1/2 months pregnant with me! Super cute pregnant lady my mom was!

I always get strange looks when I say "today is my mom and dad's birthday". The usual response goes "don't you mean their anniversary?" It is a conversation starter because no, their anniversary is in June, their birthday is in April. When there was a Denny's in town, they used to go and get two free meals on their birthday. That is an inexpensive date night for sure!

I love my parents. Lots of people love them. They are the kind of people that make others feel comfortable in their home and presence. Sometimes I feel like so many people love them that I have to share them but I have learned over the years that it is okay, they have an awful lot to give. In fact, it is a great testimony to the lives they lead and the way they love.

That kind of love doesn't come as easy for me. You would think that in my genes, some of that would have seeped in. It has, I mean, I am their daughter, no doubt about that, but the standard they set is pretty high. When I think about the perfection I see in them, I know it is the faith that they share, the faith that they talked about the very first night they really got to know each other, that night when Dad drove Mom home from the basketball game and talked for hours under grandpa and grandma's yard light on the farm.

They would never take any credit. They never do. They know that God has lead them the whole way and although they have gone down some not so straight paths through the years, their goal has always been to follow Him the best they know how. I can tell you, they have passed that down hook, line and sinker. Because of their faithful example, I know where my strength comes from and I am very thankful for that foundation when the wind and waves come.

Happy Birthday Mom and Dad!
I have loved you from the very first day I met you! (even during that very rough sixteenth year!)
xxoo

No comments:

Post a Comment