Button Banner

Button Banner

Tuesday, October 4, 2016

My New Dark Side

Back in August my friend Minette sent me a message out of the blue. She told me that she had found a place online where she could donate her hair and they would make a wig for me. Would I be interested and could she do that for me?

Well, all of you know who have been reading with me that I have learned way more than I ever wanted to know about stuff I never knew there was to know! I could tell that she really wanted to do this and I was excited to see how it would all work, she in Texas, I here in Iowa.

She told me that it would take 5-6 weeks, just in time for cooler weather and for me to get used to wearing a wig and being a little more comfortable trying something new. You can see us in college, a long time ago.

I have said before that cancer can give us some unique experiences and can teach us things that we never would have learned or known about had we not experienced it. This is one of those times.

The first step was for Minette to get her hair cut. So, the very next day, she and her son Dane (with the camera) went to the salon on her end and sent me the pictures so that I could see that it was all happening! I was eating lunch with a friend here in Iowa when she sent them and so I showed Michelle (who was with me). We both got a little teary when I explained it to her.

When I was diagnosed in June, I made it a point to tell the people I love around me that I didn't want anyone to shave their head for me. I TOTALLY understand for those who are moved to do that, but for me personally, I wanted to see the people I love and who love me the way they are supposed to be. I didn't want a reminder that I am sick whenever I looked at them. I had not said anything though about an Anne Hathaway bob...and doesn't it look GREAT on Minette?

Later that evening over the phone we went through the website and the wig was ordered. Minette sent me a picture the next day of the envelope all packaged and ready to ship to the company called Care and Comfort. Then we waited...

What I found inside
the package
Late last week Minette sent me a message that it had been shipped and when the mail carrier stopped for me to sign yesterday I wasn't thinking that the wig was on the way. After I stepped inside I realized that it was here. When we ordered it, we had the option of paying to have it cut and styled or to just have the hair put on the wig. With the second option, I could take it to my stylist and because it is real hair, she could cut it like she would cut my hair.

Since my sister Johanna lives a block behind me and does my hair, I ran it by her in August and she said she would be up to the task. Yesterday I took a picture of me in the wig and texted her that it had arrived. She had some time in the afternoon and so I went over not knowing what to expect.

Minette has beautiful thick hair, and I...well, not so much! As beautiful and thick as the wig came, we needed to take some of the heaviness off the top. I say "we" but Johanna is the one who jumped in even when I was a little nervous about all that had gone into the wig and making a mistake. Not that I didn't trust her, as you can see, she is amazing!

Johanna said she wasn't nervous, she just knew we would take it one step at a time. The wig came a lot curlier than we expected so she started by straightening it. We read the wig instructions and you can use a straightener as long as it is on low heat. Having a cooler week it was nice to think about having a longer hair style because as much as I have loved my short wig and wearing hats and scarves, my neck gets cold!

When we were finished in the salon, it was about 20 minutes until the kids started coming home from school. I got a couple of "wow Mom!"s and Zach said that it doesn't look like me. I asked him if it still looked okay and he did approve.
I actually had a few errands to run so I went out and a bout on the dark side for a bit and I found myself flipping my hair (or should I say Minette's hair) and it was very natural. As I got used to the short wig, I will get used to the feel of this one too.

I would like to say a big "THANK YOU" to Minette and Roger Bryant, Minette's hair stylist in Texas and my sister Johanna for this great experience! Now I have another way to keep people guessing!

2 comments:

  1. This is beautiful. I'm here in Wendy's crying like a baby! Thanks Minette. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so awesome. What a great friend you have.

    ReplyDelete