Button Banner

Button Banner

Monday, March 23, 2015

A Little Upgrade

I did a little organizing in my sewing room with the help of a friend during spring break. I have a lot of fabric I purchased for different projects. I had been meaning to make new cushions for our swing outside for two to three years since the squirrels ripped through the fabric and pulled out the stuffing to use in their winter nests. I was so mad!
An attempt to fix the old canopy

Last summer I watched the sales and ended up getting fabric and better cushion stuffing that will not attract squirrels for 1/2 off. The new update made me happy. I also bought fabric to cover a couple of forms to make coordinating pillows. That makes it a great place to sit and read or chat with an iced tea and good friends

Beyond repair
NCIS marathon requires a little serging in the living room!
The other thing I attempted was to zig-zag up the places on the canopy that had ripped from wear. That part of the project ended up in disappointment last summer when after spending all of the time to fix it, two new rips developed as I tried to stretch the cover over the frame. Needless to say, I put aside the idea of having an updated canopy.

It was the end of the summer when there was another sale and I got enough coordinating fabric to remake the canopy but I didn't have it in me to follow through. I do have to say, the cushions didn't stay on very well and so  this weekend I remedied that by making ties for them before I put them out for the season. They now will be tied in place for this summer and I am pretty happy with the results.

The finished product




I felt a little bad that I had been putting off the canopy project after getting the ties made so Saturday morning I ripped apart the old canopy and laid out the pieces on the new fabric. I do have to say that this was the fastest project that has ever gone together for me without a pattern to follow. I am pretty pleased with the final product. And now there are a few less yards of fabric to store in my sewing room and a great place to sit in the shade and relax this summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment