Button Banner

Button Banner

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Cancer Files: Diagnosis / Education / Treatment

Wow - I can't believe that it has been December since I last posted on my blog!  I guess it takes a life changing experience to get me back in the groove.  Maybe I should be better at this, there is a lot of updating to do to catch you up on the family.  Unfortunately, it is me we are focusing on today. (although the spotlight isn't necessarily where I like to be!)

"A survivor is anyone who has heard 'you have cancer'".  That is what I read on the wall in the doctors office today.  I saw the oncologist and the surgeon and met each of them to determine the course of action and treatment for my individual situation.  You can read the whole book or research all you can but until you hear the terms and the plan as it relates you, your life and calendar, it doesn't really sink in.

So today we "got the scoop" so to speak on the next couple months of my life.  It looks like even though there are two spots, the area is still small enough to go for the affected area, so phew, no plans for a mastectomy (which I was told last week could be a possibility).  Hopefully the surgeon won't find any surprises and have to change plans in the course of the surgery.  They will also remove the sentinel lymph node which is the lymph node that leads to the rest of the body to test that for any cancer cells (which would change the treatment, so hopefully all is well there).

Following the surgery (July 3) and recovery there will be six weeks of radiation to take care of the rest of the area where cancer cells may be hiding.  I will then be on hormone therapy to discourage any more growth since the cancer I have is fed by my hormones.

That is what I know now.  Thank you for your prayers and words of encouragement.  I am humbled that I have so many wonderful people in my life all across the country who have sent notes and made me smile.  True friendships aren't limited by time and distance and I feel so blessed!  I have mentioned a few specifics in the way of prayer requests to some which still include the kids and them adjusting to the change of family plans.  They are all pitching in so well to help around the house.  This week it is laundry training.  They are now learning to take on the whole process, instead of just the dirty clothes sorting and the putting away clean clothes.  So far no pink underwear! :)

I have been reading through a book called "Becoming a Woman of Simplicity" this summer and love a quote by Mark Buchanan. "treat time as a gift and not a possession".  What a precious gift it is!  I am giving up more and more time this summer to what God wants since I didn't choose this and will be praying that what I don't understand is something greater than I can imagine.  Romans 11:33 says "Oh! The depth of the riches of the wisdom and knowledge of God!  How unsearchable are His judgments and His ways past finding out!"  I pray with the hope that this will be an amazing journey to bring glory to Him every day!  Thank you so much for your prayers!

P.S. If you missed the original email, I posted it yesterday here on the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment