Button Banner

Button Banner

Saturday, May 4, 2019

Weary Whining Alert!

Seems like this fat hand problem has moved in to stay for awhile. After dealing with it for a week and a half, it only getting worse, I called the doctor yesterday and asked them if I could come in so someone would look at it. I was feeling nauseous and just plain yucky but did get myself down to the doctor. Much to their shock my hand was (as I had said on the phone) swollen up worse than it has ever been.

First they sent me upstairs to get an ultrasound done to rule out a blood clot. I was thinking to myself that if it was a blood clot then God was sure protecting me because it has been this way for a week and a half! I didn't really know that it COULD have been a blood clot or I would have come earlier to have it checked out.

The worst part about it is that the only time I can use my hands is if I take morphine for the pain. Laying around watching Monk and Forensic Files reruns gets old. I read but only in short spurts because ten to fifteen minutes and I am sleepy and can't read. Having a few visitors last week and going a few places was good but the majority of the time it is just hanging out here.

So...doctor has determined this is a reaction (or re-reaction) to the sunburn that is happening with the oral chemo pill that I am taking. I was done with it for this round yesterday so I am praying that very soon I will start seeing some of the swelling go down. This particular chemo's side effects are mainly with skin. She explained to me that when patients are doing radiation with it that it will aggravate the radiated area. In my case, it was just this old sunburn that I got back on March 9th. That and the fact that my right arm has no lymph nodes to help it out!

Don't ever get a sunburn while you are on chemo...that is all I have to say! The sunburn that keeps on giving! I will be taking the next cycle off of the oral meds to give my hands some time to heal. Coming up on Tuesday I have another PET scan, and then on Thursday we will infuse the one chemo drug for this next round if we see from the PET results that this combo is working. It will be good to see if it is working or not. I think finding out it is working would boost my morale. It has tanked pretty low lately.

I feel silly getting so whiny about things with what my uncle and aunt are going through. I am linking to a few posts of Jo's if you want to get caught up with them and keep them in your prayers. I appreciate that a lot!

Jo's Country Junction - Thursday
Jo's Country Junction - Friday Morning
Jo's Country Junction - Friday Evening

3 comments:

  1. Listen, sweet lady! You are NOT whining!! You are going through SO much, you deserve to vent any time you want!! Will especially be talking to God today in your behalf! Time to get stern with HIM in our prayers I think!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jody, your situation is as real as it gets. It may not be as harsh as you Uncle's today, but it's your reality and it is a full-time job trying to get well. So glad you will vent on occasion. It helps the pressure to let off the steam. Wish I were next door to you, my friend. Instead, I'm out here slaying dragons, which is its own kind of boring re-run. Daily we are given an opportunity to be content whatever the circumstances, and I think you've done a pretty good job with your challenge. Much love to you, friend.

    ReplyDelete