Button Banner

Button Banner

Friday, February 22, 2019

Surprise MOM!

There is a boy in the center of these pictures who amazes me every day. I think I have mentioned before that I think Zach's native language is music. Show choir is also in his blood. The way that he presents himself on stage I know he has taken what his director and any judges who have ever critiqued and put it into his routine.

So today was the second of three of their competitions and it is hosted by our high school. Friday night, the middle schools compete. I have been busy getting ready for the weekend as the cafeteria director making sure everyone will have something to eat. I will not lie, I am laying here in my bed, flat typing this only because I have to get fluid into me because I am feeling dehydrated. We will do things a little different tomorrow.

I took two breaks, one when Ryan and Dawn performed their exhibition and then later in the night when Zach performed with the middle school. I had snapped a few pictures when I could see him and then sat back to hear the rest of the show. From where I sat, I knew that I could see him best during the first song.

Surprise Mom!!! Up to the mic he went and sang the solo that he is the back up for. OH NO!!!! I don't have my video ready! My camera either. I wasn't expecting that at all. I have had three kids who now have had  back up solos and this is the first time anyone has ever sung the back up. For Zach, this is the second time this year.

Yes, I sat there bawling. I had been working all day and was glad for the break to sit on a chair and just watch, not worried for a few moments how we are going to feed people tomorrow when we are running out of chicken. (That has all been worked out). For just a moment I listened to my fourth born and praised God for what He has done in this boy. Is he a typical 12 year old? Yes! Am I always after him to remember to do his homework or work on a scout project or any number of things? Yes.

I cry with joy tonight because so many times I have cried to Him because I was not sure I knew how to parent this wonderful yet very complex child who I loved more than I loved myself. Here I sit again with tears in my eyes. Life is SO RICH!!!

So, no pictures of the boy with the mic in his hand yet. But I will be looking through some that were taken tonight and hope to find one or two. When I do, I will post. His dad asked him if he was nervous and he said yes he was very nervous. I would have never been able to tell. Solid and strong was the voice I heard.

Tomorrow is the high school competition. I need to get to bed, but while this joy is heavy on my heart, I want to share because life around here isn't just about cancer. The Sloans love to sing and we love to dance...most of us anyway!

2 comments:

  1. The joy of the Lord is our strength. And He has given you so much to be joyful for even amidst the tremendous trials you are going through. Praying for strength and hydration today. Cry the tears of a proud mama. You are a wonderful one. Thinking about you today and praying for blessings this Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't commented much but this was special! Not privileged to be a Mom myself but you are a wonderful one. God continues to give you the strength you need, when you need it, to be there for events like this.

    ReplyDelete