Button Banner

Button Banner

Saturday, January 28, 2017

Today is the Day!

See this girl here? She came over and hung out with me on HER birthday helping get some things ready for the silent auction at today's benefit. I am so excited to see and chat with people today! She and some of the other awesome people in my life have been working hard in the last few weeks to put together a benefit for us.

After the "business" was done of putting together some scrapbooking tool auctions she took me to lunch. Michelle is one of my longest (or we could say oldest) friends. We were besties in high school and I have been even more blessed through the years to get to meet once a month or every six weeks for dinner or lunch and shopping. She checks in regularly through this trial and makes sure that I have what I need in physical ways and emotionally too. She is a faithful friend.

It was a day back in late October or early November when talk of this benefit started. I was at lunch with another dear friend Angie who had challenged me after she asked how I was. She didn't settle for my answer "fine", she probed a little more in the way she does sometimes and asked "Don't say you are fine if you are not fine!" I had just gotten over being sick and in the hospital. Money was my main downer but we just don't talk about finances and money problems. Angie asked if we could use a benefit.

On the way home from that meeting I got a call from Michelle. She was in Detroit during a rain delay at the ball game. She too told me that I shouldn't say fine if I am not fine. Sheesh,,,what was in my voice today that my friends were hearing? All I knew was that I have some very wonderful people in my life. Even though I was feeling a bit embarrassed for talking so openly about money troubles, I knew that I was talking to people who loved me and really cared.


I have been feeling bad because I haven't been blogging as much these past couple of weeks. I have been getting ready for the benefit. (oh, and radiation started this week too...that is for another day) With a sewing room full of fabric I had decided last year to see how many projects I could make with what I already have. The three quilts I finished for the benefit were all made from what I already had in the sewing room.


I usually have a small snipping scissors next to my sewing machine to take care of the seams as I sew. I took a picture that shows what are part of my supplies now. I have a tweezers, ripper, small screw driver and a few other things. I didn't think about how different it would be to sew with bad fingernails and neurapathy. I am thankful for the tools that are available to help me. I have had to slow down the process, but at least I can still sew.

I would love to see you at the benefit this afternoon! There are a lot of things to see and I would love to be able chat and to hug and thank you all for the prayers and support through the last six months. Near or far, you all have meant so much to me through this all.

"Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light"  -Helen Keller

1 comment: