Button Banner

Button Banner

Friday, January 6, 2017

Friday From the Heart: Remembering the Dating Days

This Friday from the heart isn't so much the deep thoughts and feelings I am experiencing but a different kind of post...still from my heart.

When we gave the kids their Christmas ornaments and did our drawing for Christmas Eve gifts, I once again picked my husband's name instead of one of the kids. I drew his name last year too. The purpose of the Christmas Eve gift is to give something you have paid for or made yourself that is special for the relationship you have with that person. At least that is how it started out when we first made it a family tradition.

I was struggling with what to do for David. I love him and have loved him so long I don't remember not loving him. Thankfully, I came up with the idea of going back in my mind to our dating days. Would it be too corney after all of these years to channel my "first love" days? I was willing to chance it.

I love to create so when I decided to really try and come up with something from the heart for my husband in the middle of chemo treatments and all of the other ordinary things we do in our life after being together for years, it took me a bit to get the creative juices flowing.

It popped into my head one morning "you're a candle in the window on a cold, dark winter's night". These words from the song by REO Speedwagon called "I Can't Fight This Feeling". David once told me that is the song that reminds him of me.

David has been that candle in the window through these years, I can't tell you how much it means to have a man that will step up and step in and do the hard things. Especially when I am not always very nice to be around. So yes, when things seem dark like a winter's night, I have a lifeline...that candle in the window.

Armed with those thoughts, I went down to my sewing room and pulled out some felt and scrap fabric. I found a picture frame that wasn't being used and started the plan. A simple candle and a little free motion writing (which I am not great at yet but maybe just good enough) I came up with this with inspiration from the days we were dating.





I smiled this morning when I went into David's office to print something and saw it sitting up on the shelf. Just a little reminder of what he means to me.



No comments:

Post a Comment