Button Banner

Button Banner

Friday, August 5, 2016

Friday From the Heart: A Full Heart

Here is Zachary. He is on the autism spectrum and I wouldn't really have to say that other than it is a fact for anyone who loves someone with autism that their minds don't work like the rest of us. They are truly wonderfully created but let's face it, there are so many times where I wish I could just jump into that mind for just a couple hours and see what goes on in there. A lot is going on...all the time.


Helping our children navigate through the early years of life and teaching them by word and deed why and how faith works isn't always easy for us. When the boy lives mostly in concrete I will say as a little one, I was praying a lot about Zachary's heart. I knew that God would have to make His own introductions to my boy's heart because I couldn't explain the spiritual to a very concrete thinker.

It was a night at bedtime when he told me that he wanted to pray and ask Jesus to be his Savior. It was kind of out of the blue for him. We sing a favorite song of his and pray together before bed every night so most of our deep spiritual discussions are done at bedtime. So at that time, when he was about five, we prayed.

Zachary and Miss Marceil
A couple special bracelets

Fast forward to 9 1/2 and he came home from Good News club one April day with a track he had received. "Mom, when Miss Sue was talking about wanting to know more about Jesus, I knew I should go back and talk to Miss Marceil!" Well, that was it, his moment, he accepted the best Gift of all when they prayed together. He went through the track with me and showed me every page. God called out to my boy and he answered. It was a good day.

Wednesday was a great day when he was able to share that decision of faith with everyone else. It gives me shivers because it was nothing of my doing, he heard a call and he answered. He won't ever forget and we will "work out our faith" in the days, months, and years ahead. God has His timing and by grace He grabbed Zachary in a way only He could. We celebrated new life in Christ as we do each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment