Button Banner

Button Banner

Thursday, July 26, 2018

Sugar Bowl...Cross and Crown...Oh Susannah...Double 2 and the Ohio Star






The Sugar Bowl Block...I decided to use two medium fabrics instead of using teal for this. It added more color and I placed to to break up some of the heavy teal blocks. It is always tricky to sew those curves together and I wasn't sure how to quilt it so I just started in the middle with my free motion attachment and did a whimsical spiral. This one I just jumped in and didn't draw it first and I think it turned out pretty cute.
















The Cross and Crown Block...To me it looks similar to the Bear Claw but with the cross through the middle. I used teal for that and looped with my free motion up and down the crown. That is all the quilting I did because I didn't want to take away from the colors. I did do a flourish in each of the teal corners. I have to admit, I did draw my swirls so it wasn't so stressful.

















Oh Susannah Block...is a variation of the Pinwheel which I can show next time. I love that with adding the half square triangle in on one side it give the look of the teal square in the middle. I used simple quilting for this one and kept it geometric with the triangles.












Double 2 Block...is what this one is called. I tried this with no templates at all. I have to admit I had some help with some of the first blocks I made. My mom had a "learning to quilt" book with templates for some of the blocks in the book Michelle gave me so that is where I started. There were no templates for some of them and I was getting more and more confident so I thought I would try to come up with my own measurements and make this one. It was not turning out. I had to take it apart and rework my math. Quilt math...I am not good at quilt math! I realized that most of the blocks I had done to that point were 9 patch so the block is divided by threes. Some of the ones I wanted to do were four by four. This was one of these. Thankfully all of the squares I had made were too big and it was easy to cut them down to the right size. This quilting is a little geometric with the triangles and a little whimsical with the flower.











Ohio Star Block...most quilters know this one and it was fun and easy to follow the measurements that were in my moms book. I decided to do squiggles in the teal area and then fourishes in the four teal triangles.

No comments:

Post a Comment