Button Banner

Button Banner

Sunday, September 21, 2014

Showing Her Stuff

Guess who got to compete today?  After two and a half years of work, Dawn got to show us her stuff!  The world of gymnastics is a little different.  It is definitely a learning experience. Just as we figured it all out with Zach last year, we will figure it out after the first few meets.

Dawn performed on the beam and the vault today.  She did very well and showed very little nerves (which is more than I can say for her mom)!  She was a little disappointed on the beam as she didn't quite get all the way up into her handstand and slipped off but she sure looked great the rest of the time.

She told me afterward that she hadn't had a chance to practice on a raised beam in the gym yet so after hearing that I was impressed.  She looked so composed for her first time and I can't lie and say I wasn't proud because I was.  So much work and so many tears wondering if she could do it or ever be good enough to compete.  She did it.  She did it today.

Both of her vaults were excellent and she got a third place medal for her efforts there.  One of the most precious things I got to experience was a sister's support as Stacey tried very hard to understand the way that the judging works (as if anyone can really).  My dear daughter who plays basketball and soccer and either wins or loses just couldn't stand that her sister didn't get a medal for getting up on that beam and doing her best.  At one point she said "don't they know that people can't just DO that without lots and lots of work?"

All the way home Stacey was incredibly entertaining with her ranting on behalf of her sister.  It just didn't make sense to her.  She was so funny.  I wish that I had a hidden camera because I am sure it would have entertained a bunch of other people too! How sweet for her to appreciate her sister's hard work.

What a fun day.  The first meet is behind her and Dawn was happy with her performance and that makes it all worth the work!


No comments:

Post a Comment