Button Banner

Button Banner

Wednesday, March 21, 2018

A Few Projects

We are gearing up for some big changes at our house. There is pandemonium in our basement as we map out rooms and where things will be happening. One of things that I will be responsible for in all of this will be to move all of my sewing/crafting to the back of the basement. I started by cleaning out the unused toys and mess that had accumulated back there one day last week when we were home on break. Now I don't want to just MOVE it all into the space, I need to plan and figure where things will be best placed, lighting needs, etc.

When we first moved in back in 2013 I just set things up as I needed them for projects. I have moved things around a little here and there to make it somewhat more efficient. Now however, I would like to put some thought into what I do most and where cutting table/machine table, and the other crafting stuff table. There is also the problem now of how awful I am at picking up and putting back things after each project I work on. SO, that said, my cutting table is full of piles, the table the girls' machines are on is piled high with quilt magazine ideas and fabric too. Yes, time to REEL IT IN!

All this to say, that since Christmas I have been able to get a few things done in my "spare" time! I thought I would share since it might make me feel better about myself to think of what has gotten accomplished despite my mess and thoughts of transition.

So, here is my show and tell if you will! First, I have a friend whose daughter has a birthday at the end of January. So, my first completed project of the year is this mermaid tail. She likes pink and purple and wanted some teal in with it. It is hard for me to see the end when I am standing in the store picking out yarn and I do love how it turned out but I think I may have gone for a little more pink, or a brighter pink. I was told she loved it so I am happy with that! (oh, and it probably would showcase better if I had not taken the picture on the ugly mauve carpet!)


Next we have a project I started back in October when I spent the weekend at my aunt's house. It was fun to get away and hang out with some of my favorite people. I can't wait for the next time! I wasn't really prepared for working on anything when I was packing and preparing but I did have LOTS of denim circles. I had also been to Tuesday Morning that week and had snagged some fat quarter packs for four bucks each in batiks! When I saw the fabric I remembered the denim quilt I made for the benefit last year. My sister had told me she bid on my quilt but my aunt (same one I was quilting with and found at Jo's Country Junction) had won. What a great idea to make another denim quilt like the one I made for the benefit! I had PLENTY of denim. So that is what I started there while I was there.

The picture is the completed quilt before I wash it. I was able to make one for my sister in law for Christmas in between before my sister's February birthday. We usually exchange cards and gift cards for our birthdays which is fine, but I was excited to give this. She liked it too!

Unfortunately, my Marion Indians quilt didn't get an "after" picture. But, here it is before I quilted it to the back. I used a inner square and stitched inside each square and it turned out nice. I had a deadline of first week in February for that to be auctioned at the All American Concert which is our school's fundraiser each year to support the music directors and the music programs at the high school. I was happy to be able to help bring in $100 for the music program. This fleece blanket/quilt will be great for football season! It was a fun kinda make it up as I go pattern. I was happy with how it turned out.


And last on my show and tell today is this fun banner I made for the front door. I admit, it was half way through March before I got it on the door, but it was still "in like a Lion" where the weather was concerned so I still feel good about how it turned out! In fact, my kids blame me for the snowfall we got in the early part of the month because I still had my snowman "Snowday" up on the door. Not any longer.

I saw this pattern in quite a different form in a Quiltmaker magazine. It was a horizontal banner and that just wouldn't work for the door. Although it asked for 2" squares, I had all of the 1 1/2" squares left over from the Mario quilts I made for the boys. I putzed around with the colors until it all worked. A little bit of redesign and we have March in like a lion/out like a lamb for spring.

I would love to have a new banner on the door every month but I still have some missing. I have a couple of very fun ones in pattern stages right now but look forward to some new summer doors this year. We are all in a topsy tervy point in the basement and today I will be working on moving my sewing "room". I am telling you, there is a lot of stuff to move! I will have to give a report when some organization comes out of my current chaos!

1 comment:

  1. For some reason when you said you were quilting with your aunt I was picturing Aunt Agnes :) Beautiful projects!

    ReplyDelete