Button Banner

Button Banner

Thursday, June 22, 2017

My Boy

This boy will be gone half of the days in June to various camps. I asked him at the end of May to look at the calendar and see how much he would be gone. I asked him if he would be okay with being gone all that time (secretly knowing he would) and he said yes he could.

Smack dab in the middle of week two of him being gone was family night out at the scout camp where he happens to be this week. So, we get to go out and eat dinner with him and theoretically stay until the campfire. It was pouring down rain on Wednesday and so we ate quickly and headed up to the scout shop to put more money in his account.















He came with fifteen dollars not realizing that the merit badges he was working on would require him to purchase some things (that were not candy bars or ice cream) and he was broke before he started. So, I hiked up with him under the umbrella and he practiced how to hold an umbrella for a "lady".

As we ate together I asked him if he remembered me asking him if he could handle being away from home that many days. He said he remembered. I told him then that I forgot to ask if I could handle it. I really miss having him around. Saturday he comes home, dumps his bags in the washing machine, dryer and then repacks to head off to overnight came for three nights and four days with our church kids.

I get to go too this time and although I won't see him for long periods of time, we will cross paths often. It is one thing that I am getting used to with teenagers, the older they get the more they venture off and do things on their own and in their own world. I love that and am so proud of the man he is becoming. He really is a great example to his little brothers. The great thing though is that he still has a big heart. When I told him I hadn't expected to miss him so much he said "Awww Mom!" and he put his arm around me and kissed my cheek.

No comments:

Post a Comment