Button Banner

Button Banner

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Survivor Files: Seeing the Surgeon

Walking up behind an elderly man at the cancer center today as I was leaving, he turned to move out of my way and as he did smiled and we had the following conversation:

"You know many years ago, the Indians lived in this country a long time before we arrived?"  I smiled, not quite knowing where he was going with this.

"Yes, I did know that", I replied.  Eyes lighting up with a mischievous grin he continued.

"Do you know why?"  Imagine me trying to figure out how to approach the question.

"No?" I answered with a slight questioning tone.

With a big smile he finished with "because they had reservations!"  We both laughed, shared a few pleasantries and parted feeling a little lighter.

We are all on this earth for a short period of time in the course of human history.  I have felt worn down, trampled on and punched in the gut more than once as I travel through my days by people I don't even know.  That is why in the middle of my visit to the cancer center where my surgeons office is located I am amazed at how many MORE smiles and "Hellos" I receive than any other place I go.

I am praying for all of the scowling, complaining, mean looking people that are out there crossing paths with each other that it won't take a diagnosis of cancer or another terrible illness for themselves or a loved one before they see how important a moment in time is to those they share it with.

My message before the report on what the surgeon said is this "BE NICE everyone!  Smile at people, hold the door open for someone today, stoop down to pick up something that someone else has dropped and most importantly, give a little grace or mercy to someone who you feel has wronged you.  Most of the time you may have no idea what they are going through.

That is a big enough message for one day, but...what happened with the surgeon you may ask?  Well, good news!  Last week I had all good intentions to post the results of my visit at the wound clinic where they were going to change my dressing.  I was busy with so much that am just now finding pictures for the blogs that I have written to post so that I am up to date.

At the wound clinic last Thursday they announced that there would be no wound vac needed any longer, so after 1 1/2 weeks with the not-so-fashionable purse that makes farting sounds and makes my boys giggle, I have been freed of that burden!  Packing with the prisma stuff again has been my protocol and there has been real progress!

Doc says that if we schedule a couple of months out, he should be able to do the first of the final two surgeries to complete the reconstruction.  Both will be outpatient surgeries and will take about 2 weeks recovery and the doctor says that he is SERIOUS about me not doing ANYTHING for two weeks that would strain my muscle and tissue on my chest (basically keep your elbows to the side and no lifting or bending over.  (I have a poor record in this area)

I am excited because it feels like a light at the end of the tunnel.  He told me that I don't have to see him again until right before the surgery where we can talk about the plan.  So, for now I will be working with the wound clinic for the next few weeks to completely heal this incision that has been open in different places since Thanksgiving!  WAAA HOOO!

No comments:

Post a Comment