Button Banner

Button Banner

Saturday, October 1, 2016

Filling My Tank

They know what they are talking about at the oncology office. "You will probably feel a lot more of the fatigue by round four". I had heard what they said of course, but I was hoping to feel a little more excited that the double whammy chemo was done but instead I find myself fatigued, crabby with my family and worried about new things like reactions to the new chemo drug and neuropathy.

So much for my celebratory attitude! No, really, I am glad that the big bad stuff is done, don't get me wrong. In fact, I am going to turn this little pitty party around and by the end there will be something good to report. Today, I was able to hang out at Fareway while Zachary sold scout popcorn, David took the boys to the soccer field so that I could get some rest this afternoon.

This evening Mom and I got a chance to go out for a bit and get caught up with some great people I haven't seen in a long time. It was wonderful! The people that touch our lives are so very important. I have learned that through the years. It doesn't matter when you knew them, or how long it has been since you have seen them, you just kind of pick up where you left off.

When I got home tonight I felt so filled up. That is when I realized that I do truly get energized by spending time with people. I am not one for huge crowds of people that I don't know, but I love being able to spend time with my friends, those I have known in any stage in my life. I would also include those people I would like to get to know better. I think that is what I miss most in this temporary life I am living, I miss the ordinary ways that I get to be with people.

So, today I am thankful for getting out of the house this evening and heading to a benefit for a childhood friend, Beth Dunkel. She needs our prayers too as she fights colon cancer and has some big things coming up.

We also got to chat with a couple of other friends we hadn't seen in awhile who were there as well. It did a whole lot of good for my crabby spirit today. It may be a little thing to some, but when you are facing down another twelve weeks of whatever this next drug will bring, it was so good for my soul!

Tonight I guess I am thinking a lot about friendship. There are many ways people define "friendship" today. I think about it a lot, we are all so busy with life. Proverbs 27:17 says "Iron sharpens iron; so a man sharpens the countenance of his friend". I am going to put this challenge out there...who will you "sharpen" today?

No comments:

Post a Comment