Button Banner

Button Banner

Sunday, November 18, 2018

3XFIGHT

Friday I said to David "I'm too tired of all of this to blog anymore." I couldn't even think what I would write coming out of my doctor's office after being told my liver on the PET scan pictures was lit up like a Christmas tree. She also said "It is very rare that these spots AREN'T cancer". I didn't want to sit down and blog this! So there you have it.

Lets back up a month and a half or so. I had started feeling winded when I walked around a classroom, or up a staircase. I was having a heaviness in my chest, and weird back spasms multiple times daily and other random things. Nothing was constant enough to warrant worrying, at least not enough to stop and question. I went in last Friday for one of my three month appointments. They go through the list of side effects to record how my last three month have been on my trial drug. It is usually a quick thing.

I stopped her after about the second one on the list. "You know..." I said, I haven't been feeling good". We went down the list slowly and I complained pretty much at each side effect how it has gotten worse this past time. She listened and recorded. After the exam, she said it was time to have an MRI and PET scan." I heard myself sigh.

Thursday morning I had my scans. Friday, the doctor wanted me to come back for the results. Survey says...spots on my liver. One large one on each lobe and several smaller ones. So, we have a biopsy this coming Wednesday morning and we wait about a week to see what kind of cancer we are dealing with and how we will proceed.

As I was pulling out of the parking lot of David's work after my appointment, a jeep pulled in front of me as we were leaving. I sat waiting for the cars in front of me and focused somewhere on the back of the jeep til I zoomed in on the license plate. 3XFIGHT...it was an Iowa Hawkeye plate which would make most people start humming "Fight, fight, fight for Iowa". Not me...it clicked in my brain THIRD TIME TO FIGHT. I am not one who believes that God has a special message for me but I do believe that He sometimes works in the "coincidence". We are taking it as our marching orders. We are preparing for our third fight.

I can share as results come back for those who are interested in following us. I understand if you are weary of this...we are too. But my daughter said I have to blog, "it is how people know what you need". So we will be here in the very capable hands of the God who laid the foundations of this earth, the One who determined its dimensions and stretched out the surveying line. The One who laid the cornerstone.

If you are still with me here, I will leave you with this: the song that has been playing on repeat for me this weekend. Your Ways are Higher Than Mine I want mountains to move, You want me to climb. We already have the hiking boots...time to put them back on. Love you all!

13 comments:

  1. Jode: I hope you will blog through this latest fight and that by so doing, God will give you clarity and perspective and encouragement. I know that He uses you to give those things to your readers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m sorry.I hope that knowing how many people love you will help- you will be in my daily prayers until “round three” is in the past!! God Bless you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sending prayers to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry, Jody. Praying for you and all your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jody, Joe Parr here. Inspired by your struggle and the grace with which you handle it. Remember, this life is just the opening act and you're just getting started.

    I want to share with you a story and you may just find it helpful. When Caity was 15 and Elijah was 5 I became very ill. For twenty days I had a pain in my head that felt like someone had driven a spike into it. As I lie there, thinking it's possible this could be the end of the line for me, I wrestled with God. My wife did not attend church with us and I fought with God saying, if I die who will take the kids to church and guide them if I'm not here? On the 20th day I had finally weekened enough to hear Gods voice. The thought that he put into my head was that He was in charge. He reminded me that even though my mother had died when I was 7 and my father when I was 23, HE had managed to bring me to Him. He did not need my help but he did want my trust. Trust that He is in charge and that He loved me very much even as I lie there in excruciating pain. Love the scripture you chose. Where was I when God was creating all that we know? In that moment I surrendered to God and said Thy will be done! Within seconds the pain in my head disappeared and I was able to get out of bed. The point of my story is to comfort you in the thought that no matter what happens, God loves you, and He loves your family, and He will take care of ALL of you in a perfect way that we can't fully understand. I pray that you will be comforted in mind and body and continue to inspire others with your struggle.

    Your Friend
    Joe Parr

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry to hear this news. I will pray for you when I pray for Jo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Praying for you. Sending strength and lots of big hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so sorry to hear your fight begins again. I have learned in my lifetime how to completely trust God. It has not always been easy and I will never understand why some of our loved ones must suffer so terribly. But I do know God is always in control. God bless you. He is with you all the way. Love you and praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jody, the little girl in me that needs to "fix" things for everybody had reread your blog and ONE statement sticks out like a sore thumb

    ReplyDelete
  10. well, with tears in my eyes I apparently hit post. so let me finish. your doctor told you that RARELY these spots are not cancerous...........lets pray that you are a lucky girl and God will make that happen for you. you are in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have tears in my eyes writing this. Never give up. My mom who is 80 now, has had liver cancer for 4 years now. The doctors gave her 6 months to live. We as a family decided against Chemo. She had Radiation beads that were injected right into her cancer. Having a PET scan every 6 months, the cancer is growing very slow. She feels good, sometimes a pain, she also had a side effect that was fixed, but she said she could just feel the prayers that were sent her way. You bet I am going to pray for you. I am so lucky to have my mother still on earth.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jody, Jo mentioned you on her blog today so I popped over and became a new follower of your blog. I'll be praying for both you and Jo as you walk through this next valley.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jody, Jo put a link to your blog today. I just read your post. God Bless you and your family. I’ll pray every day for you and Jo. I know God’s will be done but God does listen to prayers. Will enough prays God will do the best for you both. πŸ™πŸ»πŸ™πŸ»πŸ™πŸ»And❤️❤️❤️ To both families.

    ReplyDelete